Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Sneaky Pete NOS Kit install

  1. #1
    Inactive Member MartyMarGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey guys, i just picked up a new sneaky pete NOS kit off a friend of mine.
    Going to be installing it sunday probably and set it at like a tiny shot like a 20. Its a dry kit and the instructions say that you dont need a FPR or anything for running that small of a shot. Is this true?

    Any of you guys have any recomendations?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't remember what the smallest nitrous jet is, but I think its a 25 shot. I went through all this a long time ago during my failed attempt to put a nitrous kit in (I got lazy and less motivated to modify my car at that point)

    What is your setup? This is what I would do with a JRSC and a stock kit (with a map mod)

    Things you should do:

    -If you are not running atleast one stage colder on the plugs I would do so now.
    -Retard timing a couple more degrees initial (if you are at 12BTDC, now do 10BTDC) If you have a BTC I would make sure you are at 1 degrees retard per lb of boost (12 o'clock on the dial)
    -When running the nitrous I would increase static fuel pressure 5psi.

    Thats what I remember being told. At 6psi you are already running pretty rich if you have your satic FP set at 60psi. If you have the Map Mod you're even better off. I remember running my car at 6psi with stock timing (16BTDC) and no retard on the BTC and never getting any detonation (with map mod). This is with 93 octane.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member MartyMarGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    im at 6psi, stock injectors and FMU running rich as hell (sometimes u can almost see gas dripping out of my exhaust pipe).
    Timing rolled back to 7 degrees. Also running NGKBKR7e's gapped about .036

    I figure it should be pretty safe.

    Im tempted to buy jim's mvm pulley tho and run it at 8psi with the 25 shot since i need to replace my SC belt and pulley's soon anyways (20k miles so far on my first belt)

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 06, 2004 03:07 PM: Message edited by: MartyMarGSR ]</font>

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Lokar's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 9th, 2002
    Posts
    128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Things you should do:

    -Retard timing a couple more degrees initial (if you are at 12BTDC, now do 10BTDC) If you have a BTC I would make sure you are at 1 degrees retard per lb of boost (12 o'clock on the dial)
    -When running the nitrous I would increase static fuel pressure 5psi.

    Thats what I remember being told. At 6psi you are already running pretty rich if you have your satic FP set at 60psi. If you have the Map Mod you're even better off. I remember running my car at 6psi with stock timing (16BTDC) and no retard on the BTC and never getting any detonation (with map mod). This is with 93 octane.[/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">12 o'clock is a little too much. I would go somewhere more around 5-6 clicks (from the left) also, 60psi with the map mod and btc is a little too high. Also, since you are running only 6psi, these numbers can probably come down some. When you say no regulator, do you mean one to adjust static pressure? You could get away without that, but you may need to increase the tip in pressure. I am sure Jim will chime in and let us all know where you should be.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member CROM's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 17th, 1999
    Posts
    1,202
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I was just echoing what Jim had told me a long time ago.

    -Drop timing a few degrees
    -Increase static (0psi) pressure around 5psi on the JR FMU.

    With my original kit (with a map mod and BTC) I probably could have gotten a way with doing nothing with fuel pressure and running around 12 oclock on the BTC, which is 1 degree per PSI. You could probably not touch a thing, run 100 octane and be fine [img]biggrin.gif[/img]

    Experiment with it, but always start with settings you know won't screw anything up. You can always increase timing and decrease fuel pressure slowly to find the best settings. A dyno would be your friend on this one.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 06, 2004 10:43 PM: Message edited by: CROM ]</font>

  6. #6
    Inactive Member deez92's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 5th, 2003
    Posts
    69
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    try gapping your plugs to 32

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member JRCivic's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 13th, 2000
    Posts
    3,835
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Adam is correct in his assessment... I think the additional timing retard at the distributor is a safety thing... try two degrees of retard at the distributor and listen for ping. If none is audible, try moving it back to the previous setting.

    Since you say you are at 7 degrees advance, static fuel pressure at 60 psi (vaccuum line off), and have a MAP mod and a BTC... I would think that you are OVERLY SAFE at this point. Put it on a spray it. Unless there are issues elsewhere in your install, you should be fine as is. I suggest a dyno pass with a wideband O2 sensor just to be sure.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member MartyMarGSR's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 13th, 2001
    Posts
    120
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i have no map mod nor BTC. I'm am running a truely stock 6psi kit.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •